JOB TITLE: WATERSHED STEWARDSHIP ASSISTANT
Application deadline: May 19th, 2017
START DATE: July 3rd, 2017 (flexible) END DATE: September 8th, 2017 (flexible)
One summer student position is available for Watershed Stewardship Program work with the Lake Windermere Ambassadors.
LOCATION: Invermere, BC
HOURS: Full Time 9 weeks, on average 30 hrs/week. Includes some weekend and evening work.
ELIGIBILITY: Must be between 15 and 30 and have been a full-time student this year and returning to a full-time program in September 2017. Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS: The student should be enrolled in post-secondary schooling in environmental science, environmental studies, environmental resource management or a related program. Students with other academic backgrounds and relevant work experience will also be considered. The position requires the student to document water quality conditions, identify aquatic species, and create written pieces pertaining to lake systems and environmental health.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, have a strong interest in the environment, love lakes, enjoy interacting with the public, be comfortable in an office environment, have good communication skills, be physically fit and be able to work independently. Added assets would be having a driver’s license, owning a car and holding a pleasure craft operator card. Training will be available for students without a pleasure craft card.
Priority will be given to students of aboriginal heritage, belonging to visible minorities or with disabilities.
Applicants relocating for the position will be responsible for finding their own housing.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Watershed Stewardship Program Assistant will conduct research pertinent to the program (including on-water field work), provide educational materials to community members and visitors through community outreach, and promote our initiatives at various community events. The successful candidate will also organize and deliver the annual Lake Windermere Summer Splash. Summer Splash is a half-day event in celebration of Lake Windermere and watershed stewardship. It includes recreational and educational activities for all age groups to showcase our lake and wetlands system and inspire respect and pride for the area’s unique watershed and natural resources.
The Watershed Stewardship Program Assistant will:
- Be responsible for planning and implementing the annual Lake Windermere Summer Splash.
- Conduct lake water quality monitoring including preparation, equipment maintenance, conducting field sampling, and data entry.
- Recruit volunteers and guide them through water quality monitoring procedures on the lake during sampling days.
- Educate homeowners and visitors about water conservation, best shoreline practices, boating practices, and how to prevent the spread of invasive species.
- Recruit members at community events and by working with local service clubs.
- Assist other Lake Windermere Ambassadors in office with communications and administrative duties.
- Assist with environmental restoration and conservation programs.
- Assist in keeping our website and social media platforms up to date and relevant to the public.
- Attend educational environmental stewardship workshops over the summer, as available.
For more information about our organization, see: www.lakeambassadors.ca
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and your resume electronically (.doc or pdf only) to:
Lake Windermere Ambassadors
Subject line: “Watershed Stewardship Assistant Position
Application deadline: May 19th, 2017
Questions? Call: 250-341-6898