The Lake Windermere Ambassadors will be hiring one Summer Student to help us deliver our award-winning programs over the summer of 2014. Don’t miss this exciting opportunity!
JOB TITLE: WATERSHED STEWARDSHIP PROGRAM ASSISTANT
START DATE: ASAP
END DATE: August 29, 2014 (flexible)
One Summer Student position is available for water stewardship work with the Lake Windermere Ambassadors, pending financial support from Canada Summer Jobs.
LOCATION: Invermere, BC
HOURS: Full Time 16 weeks, 35 hr/week. Includes some weekend and evening work
ELIGIBILITY: Must be between 15 and 30 and have been a full time student this year and retuning to a full time program in September 2014. Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS: The student should be enrolled in post-secondary schooling in environmental science, environmental studies, environmental resource management or a related program. Students with other academic backgrounds and relevant work experience will also be considered. The position requires the student to document water quality conditions, identify aquatic species, and create written pieces pertaining to lake systems and environmental health.
The Successful Candidate will be self-motivated, have a strong interest in the environment, love lakes, enjoy interacting with the public, be comfortable in an office environment, have good communication skills, be physically fit and be able to work independently. Added assets would be having a driver’s license, owning a car and holding a pleasure craft operator card. Training will be available for students without a pleasure craft card.
Priority will be given to students of aboriginal heritage, belonging to visible minorities or with disabilities.
Applicants will be responsible for finding their own housing.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Watershed Stewardship Program Assistant will conduct research pertinent to the program (including on-water field work), provide educational materials to community members and tourists through community outreach, and promote our initiatives at various community events. The successful candidate will also organize and deliver the annual Lake Windermere Summer Splash. The Summer Splash is a half-day event in celebration of Lake Windermere. It includes recreational and educational activities for all age groups to showcase our lake and wetlands and inspire respect and pride for our area’s water and natural resources.
The Watershed Stewardship Program Assistant will:
- Be responsible for planning and implementing the annual Lake Windermere Summer Splash.
- Conduct lake water quality monitoring including preparation, equipment maintenance, conducting field sampling, and data entry.
- Guide volunteers through water quality monitoring procedures on the lake during sampling days.
- Educate homeowners and visitors about good shoreline practices, good boating practices, and how to prevent the spread of invasive species.
- Recruit members at community events and by working with local service clubs.
- Assist with other Lake Windermere Ambassadors in office with administrative duties.
- Assist with an environmental restoration project
- Assist with additional environmental conservation programs
- Attend educational environmental stewardship conferences over the summer, including the BC Lake Stewardship Society annual conference.
For more information about our organization, see: www.lakeambassadors.ca
TO APPLY: To apply please send a cover letter and your resume electronically (.doc or pdf only) to
Kirsten Harma, Program Coordinator
Lake Windermere Ambassadors
Subject line : “Application for Summer Student Position”
Questions? Call: 250-341-6898